Oakland Faces No. 4 Ohio State in NCAA Tournament|
Nov. 8, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Oakland women's soccer team (11-5-3) faces fourth-seeded Ohio State (16-4-1) in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium at 5 p.m. The Golden Grizzlies are the back-to-back regular season champions, while Ohio State won the Big Ten Tournament title.
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ The Golden Grizzlies won The Summit League Championship by beating Western Illinois 1-0 in the semifinal, before winning 2-0 over Fort Wayne in the championship match
▪ Oakland is making its second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and seventh in school history
▪ OU has won seven Summit League regular season titles and eight Summit League Championship titles. OU boasts a combined 14 titles since the year 2000, eighth best among Division I teams
▪ OU claimed both the regular season and tournament titles in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2012
▪ The Golden Grizzlies boast a 16-2-5 record at The Summit League Championship
▪ Oakland is the only Summit League school with multiple NCAA appearances
▪ Coley and the OU defense set a Summit League record as the first team to ever advance through The Summit League Championship without conceding a goal
▪ Coley equaled the school record with eight shutouts this season, she is third in school history with 14 career clean sheets
▪ The Golden Grizzlies turned in a league-best 10 shutouts this season, including four straight shutouts to end the season. The Black and Gold currently rank No. 24 in the nation in shutout percentage.
▪ OU has not surrendered a goal in the last 393:32 minutes of play.
▪ Kellermann, Weber and Haelewyn were All-Summit League first team, while Boyle earned All-Summit League second team honors. Jamie and Brianne Horne were named to the All-Freshman Team.
▪ The Golden Grizzlies have made 10 Summit League Championships matches where the team holds an 8-2 record
▪ Abigail Haelewyn led the Summit League with nine assists this season and is No. 24 in the nation in total assists and No. 25 in assists per-game
▪ Kyla Kellermann led Oakland and The Summit League in goals (8) and points (19) this season
▪ Kellermann won two Summit League Offensive Player of the Week Awards this season. Coley has three Summit League Defensive Player of the Week Awards, while Megan Reynolds and Haelewyn have also claimed the offensive award
▪ OU tied two of the three Big Ten teams it faced this season, drawing 0-0 with Michigan State and 1-1 with Northwestern, the only loss came 1-0 to Michigan, a team that also made the NCAA Tournament
▪ Kellermann scored a hat trick against Rochester College, which tied for third most in single-game history at OU
▪ Haelewyn assisted on three goals in the match against Rochester College, which ties for fourth best in a single-game at Oakland
▪ Oakland was tabbed as the favorite in The Summit League Preseason Coaches Poll for the 11th time in school history, just edging South Dakota State this season with five first-place votes