Oakland to Face No. 23 Tulsa on Sunday|
Sept. 15, 2012
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ Oakland missed a penalty attempt in regulation and lost 1-0 in overtime to SMU in its last outing
▪ The Golden Grizzlies will play a top 25 opponent for the second time in a one-week span
▪ The first meeting between Oakland and Tulsa came in the 2003 NCAA Tournament
▪ OU has five wins and four ties against top 25 opponents since joining NCAA Division I
▪ Scott Messer started the season with 275:27 minutes of scoreless action in the nets
▪ The Golden Grizzlies currently rank fifth in the nation in shutout percentage (.750)
▪ Lipari is the leading goal scorer for Oakland this season with three goals and ranks No. 32 in the nation in goals per game
▪ Oakland is playing against SMU and No. 23 Tulsa this weekend in the SMU Classic Presented by Jason's Deli
▪ Dating back to the previous season, the Golden Grizzlies went 356:30 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal
▪ The Black and Gold announced captains for this season as John Timm, Nick Kristock and Lucas Diener
▪ The Golden Grizzlies posted a 2-0-1 record during the preseason and never failed to score under two goals in a match
▪ Four Oakland players were recognized by CollegeSportsMadness.com for preseason all-league honors. John Timm was named to the first team, while Johnny Dreshaj and Jeff Cheslik earned second team honors. Jacob Vanderlaan was named Preseason Freshman of the Year.
▪ Oakland has won 11 Summit League Championships during its first three years in The Summit League and advanced to five NCAA Tournaments.